It's a lonely life...that of the necromancer, er freelancer

A blog by a designer and illustrator, for designers and illustrators which may contain musings on art, movies and random weirdness.

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Adjectives and Animals Challenge

Things have been a little slow for me work-wise, so my wife Amy came up with a scheme to keep me busy. She wrote a list of about 30 adjectives on a piece of paper, and a list of animals on another. then she cut up the paper so each of the adjectives and each of the animals names were on a separate slip of paper. Then she put all the adjective slips in one big coffee cup, and all the animal slips in another.
 Here are the two cups:
















The task she set me was to pick an adjective slip and an animal slip at random from the cups each day and then draw whatever came up.

My first pick was "Scheming Turtle"
This is what I came up with.






















 The point of these was to draw them quickly, without reference, to get into the habit of drawing things out of my head, and for fun, both things I have gotten out of the practice of doing.
These are all small, drawn in ink on a 4" x 3" pad, and then colored with watercolor.












 
My next was "Weepy Kitten".


















 Then "Loving Donkey"






















 "Scared Goat "




















 
"Steadfast Pig"


















 I liked "Happy Whale " so much that I did two versions.






























 "Charming Sloth" made one week's worth.
I will post more next week. I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I enjoyed drawing them.


1 comment: