It's a lonely life...that of the necromancer, er freelancer

A blog by a designer and illustrator, for designers and illustrators which may contain musings on art, movies and random weirdness.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

LOGO development: Christ The Rock Fellowship

Here is a logo-design project I finished recently. A logo for a church in Worcester, MA. The process took a couple of months. The client said they preferred a square logo and wanted it to contain the basic motifs of the cross, some interpretation of "the rock" and the look of either in color or in shape, of the churches stained-glass windows. Here are my initial sketches. I like sketching out ideas with pen and paper before I get into working it on the computer. I think it gives you a better feel for the logo, and keeps you from getting locked in to a particular font or color too soon. You can see that I came up with the basic workable idea in the first round of sketches.



Here is a photo of one of the churches' windows.



The next step was to refine the sketches, as you can see, I had the name wrong on the initial sketches, it was "Christ the Rock Fellowship", not "Christ of the Rock Church"
I tried a variety of colors, and used some fonts that I though would be good choices given the church is a fairly conservative entity.




Although the client's stated preference was for a square logo, I felt that a more horizontal orientation could also work, and included it in the first round.
The following rounds were refinements in font choice, color, and the relationships between the component elements.



The client had trouble choosing between the square version and the more linear version, and asked me to refine both of them.



This is the final round. The client decided that they really liked both of the logos, and wanted to use both of them for different applications.

2 comments:

  1. Seeing the process gives me a much better idea of the time and effort you put into a finished product, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work. I am very pleased to visit your blog. It is very helpful for me to collect valuable tips and tricks for logo.....


    Best web design company & B2b web portal development in India

    ReplyDelete